The biggest threat to humanity? The INTERNET: Experts raise concerns about the web’s potential to incite violence, bring down governments and wipe us out
1. Political uprising: The web has been cited as a catalyst for recent government coups and it has the potential to lead to uprisings around the globe.
2. Cyber attacks: Attacks on the infrastructure of governments and global businesses could bring chaos to countries and economies. This in turn could lead to poverty and famine.
3. Control and propaganda: Researchers from the Cambridge Centre for the Study of Existential Risk (CSER) claim that the capabilities of advanced technology place control in ‘dangerously few human hands’.
If governments, or even criminals, wanted to, they could control their citizens by restricting information.
4. Dark web: Criminals and terrorists operate on the so-called Deep Web, and this could lead to global wars, spread of terrorism and crime, and could culminate in World War III.
5. Artificial Intelligence: The rise of the web and internet capabilities has also made the prospect of Artificial Intelligence much more prominent.
‘Success in creating AI would be the biggest event in human history,’ Professor Stephen Hawking said earlier this year.
‘Unfortunately, it might also be the last, unless we learn how to avoid the risks.’